2.07.2010

Will to Meaning

We have come to see how great is the unexplored, and many lifetimes will not bring us to the end of our quest. We alone, of the thousands who walk this earth, we alone in this hour are doing a work which has no purpose save that we wish to do it. Some day, we shall stop and build a house, when we shall have gone far enough. But we do not have to hasten. The days before us are without end, like the forest.
The adventures first… explanations take such a dreadful time.



I had my artist draw up a design based off the above MSPainting:



Part one of three of the Wills to Life:

Will to Meaning:

O worm, of you, I am jealous. Of all my cares, my troubles, my goals, my inhibitions, my feelings, and thoughts; you have no complication. Everything I want to be. A simple, content, focused entity just doing it all because he lives. No other motivation. No other reason. Not even reason to be sociable, to even see more than to determine darkness from light. Lacking a brain. This is the animal could I be I would be. The self mobile creature, most different from human, for these reasons desirable.

But what plight, what misery! To be, and not of consequence! If you have no reason for cares, certainly there is no one has cares of you. What does it matter to another --or to you for that matter-- if you can move, when you have noplace to go to? If you can self-reproduce, you're originally unimpressive. Another clone. Couldn't be bothered if you were to be demolished. Won't miss you, never reminisce of you, not interesting enough to mention, even to put forth thought upon. And certainly never be sought out specifically, save as for bait, used once, as bribery for another. Disposable. O worm, whoever doesn't pity you has forgotten quickly, your forgettable attendance.

O brain, for you, I am eternally thankful! We have discovered so much together! You make me human, and who I am. For all the joy, the laughter, the excitement, the beauty, I've you to thank. Elation and euphoria are your gift to me. I've known you for all my life, and there's no one who will ever be closer. We know things of each other that no one else can ever know, and sometimes I'm sure you know me better than myself. I owe it all to you. You give me motivation; you give me reason. Because of you I can experience the world! I can expect you'll be there for me every day. I am free to roam and meet others to discuss our experiences. I am free to relax and enjoy just being with you. We can decide together.

But there are times we don't agree. I can't stand it when we're suddenly faced with these ugly dilemmas. You show me all the tragedy in the world, and every irritating obstacle in my path. You're inescapably present. Even when I'm sleeping, you discuss what you desire. When it suits you I become unreasonably fearful in my sleep. Without you, I'd never be afraid. Anger, depression, longing, tiredness, boredom, apprehension, and paranoia are your weapons against me. O brain, how I wish I could forget you.

I am here to discover and examine paradoxes. Then make simple art out of them. Then mark them on my body. Then just tell people that I'm a big Pink Floyd fan to avoid an eight hour long conversation struck up by small talk.

But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high, as you can see.
No matter how he tried he could not break free.
And the worms ate into his brain.

That which nourishes me destroys me. As the worm eats through the brain, all because it happens to be in its path... does it inherit some profound insight? And the brain certainly couldn't go on, had there not been countless worms disposing of the countless brains that came before it and perished, cluttering the hillsides. Unfortunately for the brain though, this time, the worm came prematurely, and, if the worm isn't gaining any knowledge after all, everything the brain had stood for is gone, lost, if only tainted. If of course indeed it wasn't all an illusion to begin with. But what does the worm care? At least it stands a chance of putting the poor damned brain out of its misery.

"logos" refers to the Greek word for meaning. Rather than power or pleasure, Viktor Frankl's logotherapy, or Will to Meaning, is founded upon the belief that it is the striving to find a meaning in one's life that is the primary, most powerful motivating and driving force in humans.

So you
thought you
might like to
go to the show.

Part two and three next.

No comments:

Post a Comment