2.07.2010

Binary Star, Defined

Please note that the post time was edited so that this post comes as part 2 of 3 in a large post, and is displayed after its corresponding piece. This post is part one of a two part explanation of the Binary Star portion of the particular tattoo idea.

Forget traditional connotations of faith and luck for star tattoos. That's not really me. A star shape itself is a symbol of the obvious: a celestial star. This signifies my love for astrophysics. A desire to understand the Cosmos. All of my tattoos are/will be of my views and passions, and are related to philosophy and/or physics.

Celestial stars, from our perspective, are for the most part minuscule and insignificant, save the Sun, one of the primary ingredients in the very existence of our lives, which reminds us of their remarkable power, potential, and influence. Though we know that they aren't everlasting, that time is relative, and that their presence is constant for the most part as far as we are concerned, enough to trust and to navigate by. A symbol of eternal astonishing beauty, stars are however still insignificant in relation to each other and to further bodies. They beckon us to investigate deeper into the abyss of the heavens.

Having five points (as does any specific number) gives additional meaning to a star symbol. Apparent to us in nature almost exclusively to living organisms such as flowers and oceanic creatures, as well as the basic shape of the human body (think Vitruvian Man, another design I'm contemplating over), five points signifies the sacred occurrence of life as we know it. Five points represent a quest for Divine Knowledge and the secrets of life, a perfect reference to Einstein, who only claimed to wish to know the thoughts of God, in seeking a unifying theory. The rest... are details.

Further, Earth, water, air, fire, and spirit are often represented in the five points or angles of this star, and alternately, touch, sight, sound, taste, and smell. Both are curious lists that have deeper roots I'll speak of later in this blog.

Displaying the pentgram, or regular five pointed star outline, with one point directed downwards, is, yes, commonly associated with the devil, the devil's head, and frowned upon in sin. Fuck the devil. To be crystal clear, I don't believe in good, evil, Heaven or Hell. The significance in inverting my pentacle is as it has been since junior high, when I sewed one on a stocking cap: the goat's head.


I miss that hat.

The goat can still be thought to be demonic in nature, but you know this can't be true in my case.

Not to give credit to astrology and zodiacal mythology, but therein, a goat is shy, introverted, creative, has an aversion to making large decisions, is a dreamer, and is a perfectionist. Though a.) I don't believe in horoscopes or fortune telling, and b.) I wasn't born in the year of the goat, the goat does correspond to the Western Cancer sign, which is mine, and these attributes are exactly of my nature. The Cancer, or crab: can walk sideways, as the individual will take alternate paths in life; and, again, within its shell, is introverted; and is caring, sensitive, appreciative, and indirect. Again, however, I don't believe in this spiritual folly, and aim not to support it much. After all, I recognize that the main component in fortune, to make it seem credible, is ambiguity.

Though when circumscribed (not circumcised), as the symbol is in my hat pictured, the pentagram is considered a pentacle, which traditionally gives it concrete evidential mystical and/or satanic connotation, the only significance I hold when including the outlining circle is simplicity, symmetry, and perfection (ie: beauty), as does the star itself.

My reference to the goat is one that lies in opposition to the symbol of the sheep, the sheep being a blind follower, en masse; an unquestioning sacrifice; and a symbol of Christ. This I traditionally view as nonsense, as blasphemy. Yes, I see Christ as blasphemous. I don't believe in a personal god, nor do I believe that were there one he could justify such actions as personifying himself in such a manner. A goat, on the other hand, is either a leader of masses, or a follower of his lone path: even if it means rejecting traditional and modern edicts. Even if it means being rejected by the modern masses. And he couldn't care less. I'll be who I am, and say what I feel, for those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. That goat, not Satan, (is me).

Finally, but not last, I'd included an interweaving string of binary code to the design, and call this entire concept the Binary Star. A binary star, literally, is a stellar system consisting of two stars orbiting their center of mass. This phenomenon is precious in astrophysics, allowing specific measurements and predictions to be made in dealing with the systems themselves, as well as understanding star systems in general.

And last, the binary reads as 1010011010 in the design, which as mentioned before, translates into the decimal 666. I've explained why use binary, now why use the number of the beast, when I've just disproved my star's reference to Satan?

Another blog follows. If viewing this blog singly on the page:
http://rcarhart.blogspot.com/2010/02/1010011010-defined.html

No comments:

Post a Comment